Koh Chang, Ranong, Thailand

I had taken a comfortable sleeper train up from Penang, Malaysia, jumping off and back on along the way to get stamped into Thailand. The train got me as far as Chumphon, then a bus got me over to Ranong, on the Andaman Coast side of Thailand (very close to the base of Burma). I got there in time to catch the morning ferry (more of a large thai style long boat) to Koh Chang, which I have found to be a very pleasant relaxing little island.
I spent most of the days engrossed in a novel, venturing from my beach hut to eat or wander the 20 metres onto the sand. The island is not developed except the basic huts with electricity only in the evenings, so I am writing this post back on the mainland.
Koh Chang seemed to be popular among the more mature european travellers, some passing the afternoons playing chess, others just enjoying the peace and quiet. This was welcome when compared to many of the other thai islands that are nowadays highly developed and crowded with holidaymakers.
Anyway my photographs highlight the scenic (largely empty) long beach and the impressive sunsets as the beach faces west.



Labels: , , , ,