Kolkata (Calcutta), West Bengal, India

Over five years since I have been to Kolkata, but I remembered I liked the place then so its been good to see more of the city.
Bit of a mix of photos here so i'll start with this shot of rotis beeing made streetside. I forgot how much streetfood is on offer here, I tried beef curry with parathas, tandoori rotis and tarka dahl, chowmein noodles to name a few.
Another common site is the old yellow Ambassador taxis, lining the street here when not in use.
Walking all over the city I saw the Victoria memorial, built to commemorate Queen Victoria's diamond jubilee in 1901 but not actually finished until some 20 years later.
Abit of a different sight was the Park Street cemetary, that had an array of giant tombs dating back hundreds of years. The tombs were for a wide range of important people, from the surveyor general of india, to army generals and commanders.
Finally; I didn't get to see Eden Gardens five years ago as the England cricket world cup match was rescheduled. There was not much of a crowd today for the Ranji Trophy matcj of Delhi v Karnataka, but still very impressive to see the over 66000 capacity cricket stadium (it was once over 100000 before it was all seating!).

Labels: , , , , , , ,