Orchha, Madhya Pradesh, India

After a quiet afternoon escaping the heat in a mall in the town of Indore, I got an overnight sleeper to Jhansi, not far from Orchha,  which is a historic village on the banks of the river Betwa.
There are two 17th century palaces that stand above the village, the Jehangir Mahal and the Raj Mahal. They were great for exploring, and after a maze of stairways I found my way to the top to give this view across numerous other ruins towards the river.

Further along the river are the Chhatris (or Cenotaphs) to Orchha's rulers over the years, here are the views at sunset, and just after sunset on the river.
With Orccha being a little more touristy there were plenty if locals who wanted me to "look my shop", with this guy having all kinds of trinkets and charms on offer.

Labels: , , , , , , ,